We refer you to the Press Release from the Labour Government which outlines changes to the Victorian Workers Compensation scheme.
The Government states:
- Workers Compensation costs have tripled due to increased cost of weekly income support
- Current system no longer meets the needs for which it was designed for previously (In excess of 30 years ago)
- Increase in mental health injuries – representing 16% of new claims
Changes taking effect in 2023/2024 include:
- Average Premium Rate will be increased to 1.8% from the commencement of the 2023/2024 period;
- Introducing Return to Work Victoria – assisting with better RTW outcomes for mental health injuries;
- WorkSafe will update the test for workers receiving compensation post 2.5 years (130 weeks) with the Introduction of a 20% whole person impairment assessment ; and
- Stress and burnout no longer covered for weekly compensation payments
Quote attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews
“There’s nothing safe about being sick – we’re helping workers return to their jobs and making sure WorkCover can support Victorians for many years to come.”
Quote attributable to Minister for WorkSafe Danny Pearson
“We’re modernising the WorkCover Scheme and establishing Return to Work Victoria, so that no injured worker is left behind.”
Please refer to the attached link: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/getting-victorians-healthy-and-back-work
Please contact us for any further enquiries.